Mulled wine is so delicious and warming at this time of the year but unfortunately, many of the shop bought versions are loaded with sugar. Why not try making your own with my healthy mulled wine recipe, instead?
SUGAR FREE MULLED WINE RECIPE
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon of whole, grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla pod, sliced lengthways
- 1 bottle of red wine*
- 2 thick slices of orange (peel included)
- Xylitol to sweeten (adapt quantity to your taste)
- 2 star anise
* Whilst you can use any red wine, a sturdier wine that can withstand heat is recommended. Personally I use Merlot.
- Put all of the ingredients into a saucepan, apart from the star anise.
- Allow it to heat until hot, almost too hot to touch but not boiling. Turn the temperature right down and keep the pan on the heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the star anise five minutes before you remove it from the heat. Strain and serve warm.
Tip: If you don’t want to drink it straight away, allow your mulled wine to fully cool and decant into glass bottles such as these ones I found on Amazon. They would make a lovely addition to a Christmas hamper or to take with you if you’re invited for dinner.