Pudding for breakfast? You won’t hear a nutritionist recommending it very often but this is an exception. Chia seed pudding makes for a tasty, nourishing and filling breakfast, alternatively, you can enjoy them as a healthy dessert, which will impress dinner guests, too.
Chia seeds provide a variety of beneficial nutrients including fibre, magnesium, calcium and iron. Plus, they are a vegan source of protein and omega 3 – everyone is jumping on the chia bandwagon and for good reason.
There are many recipes available online using all sorts of delicious flavour combinations. Here is a simple recipe that I use again and again.
CHIA SEED PUDDING RECIPE
- 4 dessert spoons chia seeds
- 1 cup measure of unsweetened non dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon natural vanilla (I like Taylor & Colledge ground pure vanilla bean)
- ½ teaspoon stevia or one teaspoon xylitol (optional)
- 80g raspberries and / or blueberries
- In a bowl, stir together the chia seeds, coconut milk, vanilla and sweetener if using.
- Mix well and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes or ideally, overnight. The seeds will swell and become a jelly like consistency.
- Top the chia seed pudding with your berries.
- Serve and enjoy.