12 Dec Sugar Free Mulled Wine Recipe
Mulled wine is delicious and warming but unfortunately, many of the shop bought versions are loaded with sugar. We all know that minimising our sugar intake is important for both health and weight loss. So why not try making your own with our sugar free mulled wine recipe instead?
SUGAR FREE MULLED WINE RECIPE
- 1 bottle of red wine*
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon of whole, grated nutmeg
- 1 vanilla pod, sliced lengthways
- 2 thick slices of orange (peel included)
- Xylitol to sweeten (adapt quantity to your taste)
- 2 star anise
* Whilst you can use any red wine, a sturdier wine that can withstand heat is recommended. If in doubt, opt for a Merlot.
- Put all of the ingredients into a saucepan, apart from the star anise.
- Allow it to heat until hot, almost too hot to touch but not boiling. Turn the temperature right down and keep the pan on the heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the star anise five minutes before you remove it from the heat. Strain and serve warm.
Tip: If you don’t want to drink it straight away, allow your mulled wine to fully cool and decant into glass bottles such as these ones on Amazon. They would make a lovely addition to a Christmas hamper or to take with you if you’re invited for dinner.
Do remember to drink in moderation. This mulled wine recipe is sugar free and healthier than many available. That said, alcohol will still has the ability to compromise your weight loss and health when consumed in excess. So practice mindful drinking and keep an eye on how much you consume over the festive season.